Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the mansion was built in 1896. The red brick, three-story mansion exemplifies 19th century Queen Anne style architecture with a grandiose air and a sublime manner. It was originally built for the August Meyer family who lived there for 31 years. In 1927, trustee Howard Vanderslice arranged for the purchase of the home and surrounding 8.5 acres as a new location for the Kansas City Art Institute.
Now known as Vanderslice Hall, the building houses the college’s admissions department and multiple offices as well as serving as the epicenter for festive social, enrollment and administrative activities of the college.